KRPD Soccer Rules of Play
- Last Revised
- June 22nd 2017
Kernersville Parks and Recreation Department (KPRD) strives to improve the quality of life and safety for its citizens and employees by offering diverse, high quality programs, activities, parks, and town facilities, while also protecting the environment.
To provide an opportunity for men and women to form teams and participate in organized league play in accordance with the Rules and By-Laws outlined herein.
7 vs. 7
One female must be on the field at all times for coed divisions. Team must play a man down if a female is not on the field. A minimum of 5 players is needed to start game. If the minimum of five players are not ready to play 10 minutes past the game’s scheduled game time, it is considered forfeit (0-6).
- Men 25+
- Women 18+
Team divisions may be determined by game play and or by the soccer board.
Each team is required to register their team during assigned registration dates. Registration will not be accepted without payment. Each team must have an appointed team manager/coach that is responsible for league communication with KPRD. Late registration may be added at an additional charge if the league director sees fit.
The entry fee of $65.00 per person must be paid prior to the start of the season. The entry fee covers: officials, regular season and tournament games. If a jersey is needed, the fee is $10. No refunds will be given after schedules have been posted.
Team captains are responsible for their team management. Individuals must declare their captain at time of registration or they will be deemed a “free agent” and assigned to a team as needed. Free agents are not guaranteed a roster spot and will only be used as needed to fill out teams. All players are required to carry photo identification and must produce it if the referee or administrator requests it to check against the official team roster. If player cannot produce identification, validation of player identity is at the discretion of the referee and/or administrator. Minimum – 10 players, Maximum – 14 players. Any team found to be consistently forfeiting and/or playing short may have player(s) added by the administration without notice. In the event a player is unable to play due to any circumstance, a player may be added as long as approval has been received from KPRD. Rosters will be locked after the fifth regular season game for the remainder of the season and any applicable tournaments.
- Any team found with playing an illegal player (player not on their roster).
- The team will forfeit that game (Game will be scored at 0-7).
- The player and team captain will be suspended for all of their games the following week.
- If that player the player is not registered in the KPRD league, the team captain will be required to pay league fees for that player.
- A second offense will result in removal for the remainder of the season for the player and captain
The Soccer Board consists of volunteers from the soccer leagues at Bagley Sports Complex. The Soccer Board will meet as needed to discuss the league rules of play, referees, teams, schedules, tournaments, situations that arise at the field, etc. The Board represents the players and managers in the KPRD Soccer Leagues. The Board will make recommendations regarding the best interest of the program. At the beginning of each season the board helps assign teams to divisions by level of competitive play. If you are interested in being on the board please contact KPRD at 336-996-3039.
- KPRD will have jurisdiction over all managers, players and leagues. KPRD reserves the right to supersede FIFA rules regarding the best interest of the program.
- KPRD and the Soccer Board holds the right to assign your team to a competitive league based on your roster.
- It is the responsibility of the Team Manager/Representative to see that all participants of their team understand the rules/regulations of the league.
In case of inclement weather, postponement of games will be announced by 12 pm that day. After 12pm, the decision of play will be left up to the umpire-in-chief at the first scheduled game. If the first games for the night are cancelled, all games for the night will be cancelled. Your team captain will be notified regarding all cancelations. Games, which are postponed, will be rescheduled at the end of the season or as double headers during the season. Only in extreme cases will games be made up on Saturday. In cases where games in play are delayed by weather, games may be suspended or abandoned based on the discretion of administration and/or officials. If suspended, players should seek shelter until games resume. If a game in process is abandoned and at least one half has been completed, the game will be considered a complete match. The North Carolina Soccer Referee Association weather protocol:
If you see lightning, clear the field. If you hear thunder, clear the field. Play will be halted for a minimum of 30 minutes. If no lightning is spotted during the 30 minutes and/or no thunder is heard during the 30 minutes, play will resume. If lightning is seen and/or thunder is heard during the 30-minute period, the clock starts over. No play will resume until a minimum of 30 minutes passes with no thunder and/or no lightning.
The official schedule will come from the athletic coordinator and will be posted on-line at www.kvparks.com. Please make sure you check the schedule on a regular basis in case there are any changes. Scores and regular season standings will also be posted. Games will be played as scheduled. Game times will be played as early as 2:00pm and as late as 8:30pm. The schedule cannot be altered due to players participating in multiple leagues/teams. If administration is notified at least 7 days prior to a scheduled game (and both captains and administration agree) the game will be rescheduled. If neither captains do not agree nor the administration, the game will remain as scheduled.
- Will consist of (2) 30-minute halves with a 5-minute halftime. Halftime may be shortened based on the discretion of the referee.
- Game clock will start at game time.
- A 10-minute grace period will be given at the beginning of each game to allow teams to achieve their minimum of 5 players. The game clock will start at game time.
- Any time taken out for injury will be added to the playing time at the referee’s discretion.
- Teams are encouraged to call and let the athletic coordinator know that their team is forfeiting. If teams call before 1:00pm the day of the game, the score will be a 0-3 loss. If the forfeit occurs after 1:00pm, the score will be a 0-6 loss.
- If a team forfeits three games, that team will automatically become eliminated from any further competition and forfeit all team fees.
- Field Size: U-12 size field (approx. 150’ X 240’)
- Game Balls: Size 5
- Goal Size: 7’ X21’
- Ball Size: Size 5
- Jerseys- For the spring and fall seasons, jerseys with numbers will be provided and required.
- Shin guards – Shin guards must be covered by socks and are MANDATORY for all players.
- Footwear- flats, turf, molded plastic, or rubber cleats. NO screw-in studs or metal cleats allowed.
- NO Jewelry or Hats. Only items approved by the referee will be allowed (i.e. medical bracelets, etc.)
Local Playing Rules
Will follow FIFA rules with the following exceptions:
- Two 30 minutes halves with a 5 minute halftime
- No slide tackles (indirect kick awarded)
- Substitutions on the fly. Players are to enter the field of play on their defending side of midfield.
- Direct/Indirect kicks – Defense must be 8 yards off the ball
- No punting or drop-kick punts
- No off sides
- Goal kicks must either touch the ground or a player prior to crossing the half-line. Infractions will result in an indirect kick for the opposing team at the half-line where the ball crossed.
- Any goalie save controlled by hands, ball distribution by the goalie has same constraint as goal kicks while inside the penalty box. If the goalie leaves the penalty box, he/she becomes a field player and is not constrained by the half-line rule. Any goalie save that does not require use of hands is not constrained by the half-line rule. Referee decision is final.
- Penalty kicks will be used to determine a winner in tournament games
- Standings will be kept on the soccer website for each division and standings will be determined by the flowing: Wins= 3 points, Ties= 1 point, Loss= 0 points
- In the event of a tie in the standings, the tiebreaker for final league standings are followed in this order:
- Head-to-Head, Goals against, Goal differential, Goals for.
- Top 4 teams in each tier will be in the playoffs
- Any addition teams will play an extra “plus one” game against the closest opponent in the standings.
- Tie Breaker- Head-to-Head, Goals Against, Goal Differential, Goals For.
- Penalty Kicks (5) will be taken in case of a tie in any playoff game.
Fouls And Misconduct, Fighting Policy
- If a player receives a yellow card, the player is required to be substituted for and cannot return prior to a restart or at the referee’s discretion, whichever occurs first.
- If a player receives two yellow cards (soft red) within a single game, they are required to leave the field and the vicinity. The team must play down a player for the remainder of that game. The player will also miss (1) additional game.
- If a player accumulates 3 yellow cards within a season, the player will miss (1) game subsequent to the 3rd yellow card.
- Yellow Cards do not carry over season to season
- Consistent infringement or serious incident(s) committed by a player or team may result in suspension or being banned from the KPRD Adult league.
- Referee decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
- If a player receives a straight red card, the player must leave the field and vicinity immediately. The player cannot be replaced.
- The player will also miss any other games that day and receive an automatic (1) additional game suspension. The league will review the offense and reserves the right to add additional game suspensions if necessary.
- All players receiving a red card must meet with a league official prior to being reinstated.
- Consistent infringement or serious incident(s) committed by a player or team may result in suspension or being banned from the KPR Adult league
- Referee decisions are final and cannot be appealed
Profanity, Offensive language
Profanity, insulting, or offensive language will not be tolerated. If directed at another person, it will result in an immediate red card and the player must meet with a league official prior to reinstatement. Any bystander using foul or abusive language will be asked to leave the premises. Incidental language not directed at the referee will be up to the discretion of the referee as to if a card should be given.
Fighting and aggressive behavior from teams, players, and fans will be taken very seriously. Should a player be involved in a fight as declared by the referee report.
First offense – Red card, expulsion from game, 8 game ban (carries across seasons) with no refunds, mandatory meeting with administration prior to re-instatement.
Second offense – Red card, expulsion from game, 1year ban (carries across seasons) with no refunds, mandatory meeting with administration prior to re-instatement.
Third offense- Red card, expulsion from game, lifetime ban.
First offense – Red card, expulsion from game, 2 game ban (carries across seasons) with no refunds, mandatory meeting with administration prior to re-instatement.
Second offense – Red card, expulsion from game, 8 game ban (carries across seasons) with no refunds, mandatory meeting with administration prior to re-instatement.
Third offense – Red card, expulsion from game, 1 year ban (carries across seasons) with no refunds, mandatory meeting with administration prior to re-instatement. Possible lifetime ban.
At any time, administration can impose a lifetime ban based on the evidence and severity of the incident for either or both players. Fans causing problems will be escorted off the premises. All decisions by administration are final and non-disputable.
Protests / Appeals
Should a dispute arise about whether a player is eligible, it will be the team manager’s responsibility to file a protest (see Declaration of Illegal Players). The Field Supervisor will pursue the following procedures in order to make an accurate judgment at the field.
Protests can only be made regarding rule interpretations or use of ineligible players. In order to protest, the team manager must alert the umpire at the time of the protest during the game so it can be noted on the lineup card. To file an official protest with KPRD, the team manager must file a letter with the League Director stating the protest (by 12pm the following day).
Rules of Conduct
Kernersville Parks and Recreation encourages clean and sportsmanlike conduct on the field and in the stands.
Bad sportsmanship, fighting, profanity, or arguing/threatening the referees will not be permitted on the field or their vicinity. Players, coaches, or spectators approaching umpires in a negative manner will not be permitted. Such actions are subject to ejection from the game and/or suspension from the league.
PROFANITY- If profanity is loud enough to hear by the umpires and spectators in the stands, the player will be ejected from the game.
EJECTION- Any player or captain ejected from the game will be required to leave the premises IMMEDIATELY. Refusal to do so will lead to team forfeiture of the game. An ejected player is expected to simply gather belongings and LEAVE the field and spectator area immediately. Please refer to Yellow/Red Card section of rules for further clarification.
Any action involving excessive profanity, assault on a referee or official of the Town, or excessive disruptive behavior of a player, captain, or fan will result in permanent banning from any other activities offered by the Kernersville Parks & Recreation Department and that individual may be subject to criminal charges with local authorities.
Kernersville Parks & Recreation will NOT tolerate physical or verbal fighting for ANY REASON on and off the field and all patrons (fans and/or players) involved will be subject to a ban from any and all Kernersville Parks & Recreation facilities, programs &/or be subject to criminal charges.
Consumption of alcoholic beverages on Park Property will result in instant banning from park property and league play for the period of 1 year.
Dogs are NOT allowed in the park, with the exception of service dogs.
*Please bring all questions and concerns regarding the league rules to the athletic Coordinator.